Reading Types is a feature that helps you create/edit/update common characteristics of sensor and actuator readings which include:
- Data type - defines the type of data coming from the sensor (NUMERIC, STRING or BOOLEAN)
- Default unit - displays after you fill in Measurement Units tab
- Data size - represents the amount of data coming from device sensor (e.g. 1)
- Labels - values separated with comma (e.g. Data size is 2, longitude, latitude)
- In use - indicates if the reading type is currently in use or not
- Icon - reading type’s graphic representation
Search box enables you to search any reading type by its name.
Add Reading Type
To add reading type click the button in the Reading Types tab.
Add reading type dialog will display a list of various reading types in form of intuitive icons. To create a reading type:
- Enter name (e.g. Temperature)
- Select data type (e.g. Numeric)
- Enter data size (e.g. 1)
- Enter labels (if data size is more than 1; e.g. longitute, latitude)
- Enter default unit (e.g. Celsius)
- Enter symbol (e.g. C)
- Select the appropriate icon
- Click Create
Edit Reading Type
To edit reading type:
- Click the reading type you would like to edit in the Reading Type tab
- New Edit reading type dialog will display the following information
- You can edit name, default unit and data type and size
- You can also choose a different icon to represent your reading type
- Click Update to save the changes
- Your custom reading type will be displayed in the Reading Type tab and flagged with the appropriate symbol
Delete Reading Type
To delete reading type:
- Check the box of the reading type you would like to delete in the Reading Type tab
- Click the Delete reading type button
- A new dialog will appear asking you to confirm the action
- Click Delete
Please note that you can only edit/delete custom reading types! Default reading types cannot be edited/deleted!
WolkAbout IoT Platform Settings module displays Reading type’s drop-down menu where you need to:
- Select a reading type (e.g. Temperature)
- Enter a unit name, (e.g. Kelvin)
- Enter a symbol (e.g. K)
- Define precision (there can be up to 10 digits after decimal point)
Please note that you can only edit/delete custom measurement units!
Default units cannot be deleted.
WolkAbout IoT Platform Settings module enables the creation of custom reading types and conversion of custom reading type units. Custom unit conversion allows custom reading type units to convert to another value.
You can edit and delete previously used custom reading type units.
Keep in mind that you cannot delete/edit unit in use!
To convert custom reading type:
- Go to the Unit Conversions tab
- You will jump to the Unit Conversions tab with the list of unit conversions
The list displays: reading type, unit from which it was converted, conversion formula and unit to which it is converted. You can filter out list by units and reading types.
To convert custom reading type unit:
- Click the Create conversion button
- New Create conversion dialog will appear
- Select custom reading type you would like to convert
- Enter the unit from which you would like to convert
- Enter the unit you would like to convert
- Enter conversion formula
- If you would like to check your conversion formula, enter Input value and click Validate
- Converted unit value will be displayed in the Returned value text field
- Click Create to complete the process