WolkAbout IoT Platform settings recognises the role of Reading Type, Measurement Units and Custom Unit Conversion in Device creation. Reading Types is a feature that helps you create/edit/update measurements coming in as a result of sensor’s and actuator’s readings, such as temperature, humidity, location, velocity, acceleration, radiation, and so on.
- Data type - defines the type of data coming from the sensor (NUMERIC, STRING or BOOLEAN)
- Default unit - displays after you fill in Measurement Units tab
- Data size - represents the amount of data coming from device sensor (e.g. 1)
- Labels - values separated with comma (e.g. Data size is 2, longitude, latitude)
- In use - indicates if the reading type is currently in use or not
- Icon - reading type’s graphic representation
Search box enables you to search any reading type by its name.
Add Reading Type
To add reading type click on the button on the Reading Types page.
Pop-up will display a list of various reading types in form of intuitive icons. To create a reading type:
- Enter name (e.g. Temperature)
- Select data type (e.g. Numeric)
- Enter data size (e.g. 1)
- Enter labels (if data size is more than 1; e.g. longitute, latitude)
- Enter default unit (e.g. Celsius)
- Enter symbol (e.g. C)
- Select the appropriate icon
- Click Create
Edit Reading Type
To edit reading type:
- Click on reading type you would like to edit in Reading Type tab
- New Edit reading type window will pop up
- You can edit name, default unit and data type and size
- You can also choose a different icon to represent your reading type
- Click Update to save the changes
- Your custom reading type will be displayed in Reading Type tab and flagged with the appropriate icon
Delete Reading Type
To delete reading type:
- Check the box of the reading type you would like to delete in Reading Type tab
- Click Delete reading type button
- New window will pop up asking you to confirm the action
- Click Delete
Please note that you can only edit/delete custom reading types! Default reading types cannot be edited/deleted!
WolkAbout IoT Platform Settings module displays Reading type’s drop-down menu where you need to:
- Select a reading type (e.g. Temperature)
- Enter a unit name, (e.g. Kelvin)
- Enter a symbol (e.g. K)
Please note that you can only edit/delete custom measurement units! Default units cannot be deleted.
WolkAbout IoT Platform Settings module enables creation of custom reading types and conversion of custom reading type units. Custom unit conversion allows custom reading type units to convert to another value.
You can edit and delete previously used custom reading type units.
Keep in mind that you cannot delete/edit unit in use!
To convert custom reading type:
- Go to Unit Conversions tab
- You will jump to Unit Conversions page with the list of unit conversions
The list displays: reading type, unit from which it was converted, conversion formula and unit to which it is converted. You can filter out list by units and reading types.
To convert custom reading type unit:
- Click on Create conversion button
- New Create conversion window will pop up
- Select custom reading type you would like to convert
- Enter the unit from which you would like to convert
- Enter the unit you would like to convert in
- Enter conversion formula
- If you would like to check your conversion formula, enter Input value and click Validate
- Converted unit value will be displayed in Returned value text field
- Click Create to complete the process